The Iron Butterfly


The Iron Butterfly (Iron Butterfly, #1)
Author: Chanda Hahn
Author Website/Blog: www.chandahahn.com
Publication Date: February 20, 2012
Summary: Imprisoned, starved and left with no memories, Thalia awakens to find herself at the mercy of an evil cult known as the Septori. Their leader has chosen Thalia as the test subject for a torture device of untold power, designed to change and twist her into something that is neither human nor Denai.
Escaping, Thalia finds an unwilling warrior to protect her and an unlikely Denai to befriend her. After finding a home at the Citadel as a servant, Thalia’s worst nightmare comes to life and she begins to show signs of power. Scared and unable to control her gifts, she tries to hide her past to fit in among the Denai. But the Septori want their latest test subject back and will stop at nothing to retrieve her, dead or alive. (Source of Summary and Book Cover: Goodreads)
Source: Purchased




Rating: 3 Stars


Review: I liked this book and I really feel like it has the potential to be one of those really, really good books. But I had a lot of issues while reading it.


The book gets into the story right away, which was great. It was a little dark and intimidating at first, and I was concerned that maybe the book wouldn’t be a good fit for me. But it’s only dark for a little while.


The book is told from Thalia’s perspective and since she has no memories, a lot of things are left unexplained. I had so many questions while reading and so few of them were answered. One of the most frustrating pieces for me is the fact that Thalia is captured and tortured by the Raven and Septori and there is very little explanation of why. Also the title of the book is “Iron Butterfly” implying that the iron butterfly is important and the thing comes up maybe twice and there is very little detail about the thing.

I’m not sure how I feel about Thalia, she is somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes she is strong, sometimes she is weak, sometimes she is a brat, sometimes she is likable. Joss seemed pretty consistent and likable. Kael was even more inconsistent and unpredictable than Thalia, in a very frustrating way.


The ending was weird to me – it just didn’t jive with what I thought I knew. For all my belly-aching, the book actually wasn’t bad, it held my interest and I really do want the answers to all my questions. All that being said, I liked the book enough to pick up the second book in the series. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my questions will be answered.
Dates Read: January 10 - 12, 2014

3 comments:

  1. Aw I was hoping this would be a 5 star books. But I guess they all can't be that great :/
    I found your blog from your Goodreads comment, I'm now following via GFC :)
    Have a good week :)
    http://angelic-reviews.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aneta,

    It's kind of a bummer, because the summary makes it sound so good, and to be fair it had the potential but really needed a few more rounds of edits and fleshing out. That being said, the second book in the series was an improvement, so if I were you, I'd still give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs