Top Ten Tuesday #2 (3/4/14)




Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and Bookish, and this weeks Top Ten is: Popular Authors I've Never Read

Embedded Links in case you want to learn more: Author Photo will bring you to their author page on Goodreads, Author Name will bring you to their personal website or wikipedia, Book Titles will bring you to the book's Goodreads page

Stephen KingStephen King: People rave about his work, and while I am intrigued, horror just isn't for me, so I always chicken out.










Jane AustenJane Austen: Mostly known for romance, I've never really felt drawn to reading her books, despite the fact that so many of my friends LOVE Pride and Prejudice 









J.R.R. TolkienJ.R.R. Tolkien: I am a fantasy lover and cannot get enough of novels that transport me, yet for some reason, I have never had the desire to pick up The Hobbit (maybe because it was assigned reading in school?)








C.S. LewisC.S. Lewis: Another author who writes books that are right up my alley - I know that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a childhood classic (many of my friends will even say it's their favorite), but for some reason I've never been pulled toward reading it.






Maya AngelouMaya Angelou: To be honest, as a teacher, I am ashamed to admit I have never read a single one of her books. I will have to correct this ASAP, many of my students have enjoyed I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and I really wish I could converse with them about it.






John GreenJohn Green: With the way The Fault in Our Stars has taken off, it's important to note that he is a well established author with quite the following. He will soon no longer belong to the Popular Authors I've Never Read group though because I do intend to read Fault in our Stars.







Nicholas SparksNicholas Sparks: I Loved the movie The Notebook and A Walk to Remember, but never picked up the books, because I'm usually not into romance. I think this is another author that I am going to have to give a chance to, checking out his Goodreads page, I realized there are a ton of books listed that I've heard of, so he must be a good writer.






Anne PortraitAnne Rice: I love vampires and have read my share of vampire books, but have yet to pick up Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire (my hesitation is that I don't know how close to a horror story is, anyone know if it's gory or not?)







Marissa Meyer
Marissa Meyer: Author of the Lunar Chronicles, I've been meaning to pick up her books for a while now.









Janet EvanovichJanet Evanovich: One of my mom's favorites, despite my free access to her entire Stephanie Plum Series, I haven't read her books, yet.



13 comments:

  1. Great list you're right we have many authors in common on this list haven't read Anne Rice either, I read Stephen King's 11-26-63 and it was OK good but too freaking long :)
    Rimsha@Ramblings of a Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/04/2014

    Oh my gosh--your list is so similar to mine! I'd thought about adding Tolkien and CS Lewis to my own list, but I bumped them for some other picks.
    About Stephen King--you may want to try his memoir "On Writing"--it's excellent! (I haven't read any of his horror either).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's reasurring to know that a lot of people haven't read Marissa Meyer, because I still have to. Yeah, and you should definitely read John Green. Oh wow I never read the Chronicles of Narnia either haha.

    Actually 11/22/63 by Stephen isn't horror (I think) but it's just way too long, which is why I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. Read The Stand! I am a giant chicken. I haven't read any of SK's scary books except Salem's Lot. But The Stand isn't really scary. It is a bit creepy sometimes but this book is my all time favorite. Let me do if you ever do check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant let me know, lol.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice! I will add it to my TBR list

      Delete
  5. Is it bad that I, as a huge fan of fantasy novels, would say your not missing much by not having read Tolkien? Of course, nearly everyone else loves his work so maybe that's just me. While I have heard some quotes from Stephen King that makes me think he would be an entertaining writer, I just cannot read horror stories.

    My list can be found here:
    http://pagesofstarlight.blogspot.com/2014/03/top-ten-popular-authors-ive-never-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness, I feel like people judge me because I ahven't read it and I say that I love fantasy!

      Delete
  6. Tolkien and Austen! My two favorite authors! You have GOT to read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne Rice is pretty dark at times. Her vampires are not the nice, romantic type. I love them. The C.S. Lewis books are fun, short reads. I have never read Jane Austen or John Green either. Here’s my TTT .

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs