Book Blogger Hop #4 (week of April 18)

The Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. Its purpose is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new blogs, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to their own blog.

Each week bloggers answer a different question. This week's question is: Are your reviews more of a rehash of the story or do you comment on writing style, characters, and reflection? 

My Answer:

My reviews tend to be on the shorter side. I generally include whether I liked the book or not (and to what extent) and things that stood out to me while I was reading.

Personally I can't stand reading "reviews" in which people basically summarize the book, in my opinion that is what the blurb/synopsis is for. I also can't stand lengthy book report style reviews, they lose my interest. When I read a review, I'm looking for quick insight as to whether a book is for me or not, so I generally skip the longer ones.

When I write my reviews, I try to keep it simple and think to myself "what would I say to my sister about this book?" 

What is your review style? As a reader, what is your preference when checking out other people's reviews?

6 comments:

  1. Usually I just rewrite the beginning or the summary of the book in the first two paragraphs, and then I rant or gush about the characters, setting, and plot in general. And then I add some gifs here and there. Sometimes it gets out of hand...

    When checking out other people's reviews, I usually look for humor, I guess. Only because sometimes I don't care enough to read the full review, but if it's short and interesting OR something I've already read before, then it holds my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reviews with gifs in them... where the heck do you find them?! lol

      Delete
  2. First of all, you have an adorable blog. Love the style and blog title. I followed by GFC and will follow via e-mail.

    I definitely do not like to see reviews that retell the story. My reviews focus on the characters and the author's writing style.

    Very nice answer.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! I will also follow you! thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. I like your question, "What would I say to my sister about this book?" I'll keep that in mind! I also usually prefer shorter reviews (so I can read and write more of them), so I like a minimum of plot summary.

    My blog hop answer @ Emerald City Book Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is the one who I am always pressuring to read books I've read lol!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs