Indelible


Indelible (The Twixt, #1)

Author: Dawn Metcalf
Publication: July 30, 2013
Source: Purchased

Summary from Goodreads: Some things are permanent.
Indelible.
And they cannot be changed back.
Joy Malone learns this the night she sees a stranger with all-black eyes across a crowded room—right before the mystery boy tries to cut out her eye. Instead, the wound accidentally marks her as property of Indelible Ink, and this dangerous mistake thrusts Joy into an incomprehensible world—a world of monsters at the window, glowing girls on the doorstep, and a life that will never be the same.
Now, Joy must pretend to be Ink’s chosen one—his helper, his love, his something for the foreseeable future...and failure to be convincing means a painful death for them both. Swept into a world of monsters, illusion, immortal honor and revenge, Joy discovers that sometimes, there are no mistakes.
Somewhere between reality and myth lies…
THE TWIXT


Rating: êêê

Review
This book is unique in quite a few ways. First of all, I loved the idea of certain people having the Sight and being able to see faeries of the folk. I also really liked the unique romance, it's a bit backwards from what we typically see in the young adult world in that Ink is the inexperienced one and Joy is the one who takes the lead.

Unfortunately, the world building was mediocre and I had a really difficult time understanding how the two worlds were intertwined and where Ink came from. I also had a difficult time envisioning all the different creatures that were brought into the story, the author would name them but did not provide enough descriptions.

I like the main characters: Joy, Ink, and Inq. I thought it was cute that Ink and Inq had similar names. There were a couple characters that I am on the fence about, for example Graus Claude and never fully trusted him. I was also a bit concerned about Joy's friend, Monica. I loved their honest conversations, but hated that Monica was OK with the fact that she hadn't met Ink (and didn't even know his name) - come on! no way a good friend would let that fly! I also felt like the Joy's family drama took up a bit too much space - it was quite for background information on our character, but all the details given weren't necessary.

I found the romantic development to be believable, given the circumstances our characters are in. I also found that there were some really well written, sensuous scenes (that were totally PG),

The climax of the plot picks up quickly and it reaches its resolution quickly as well. However it was my favorite part of the book because of all the action. 

The ending left me a bit sad, but hoping for a pick me up in the second book.

Honestly, this series has a lot of potential and I am looking forward to seeing development in the second book.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this before but it does have an interesting premise. It seems like it's an okay read but I know the poor world building would bug me. Great review, glad you enjoyed it enough to want to pick up book two.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs